September 17, 2015

Healthy Fall Treats


original image via

I've always been one to try to pick healthy options, but when sleeves get longer and the days get shorter, it gets harder.

There's pumpkin spice lattes around every corner, chewy cookies hot out the oven, and don't get me started on the aisles and aisles of candy for Halloween. I feel like Sharpay and Ryan in HSM2 - "I want it all!"

Well, just because you want to cute in your Halloween costume or your winter break bathing suit doesn't mean you have to skip the sweets all together! Check out these healthier options (but do treat yourself to a bag a candy when they go on sale, that would just be silly).

Banana-Egg Pancakes
There's something about waking up to the smell of cinnamon on a crisp, fall day. For said experience, I whip up these pancakes!
-Mash one banana and add 2 eggs to a mixing bowl
-"Mix it all together" - Hannah Montana (until the consistency is creamy and not too chunky from the banana)
-Use as batter and make some pancakes (I like to make mini ones because they are fun to eat)
-Add cinnamon, so sweet that you don't even need syrup!

Better-For-You Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'm not going to tell you the nutrition facts on a PSL at Starbs because I don't like to use that kind of language here. Sooo, enough said, a healthier option is to make your own! I don't eat dairy, so I'm on the hunt for a dairy-free pumpkin creamer (check your local natural grocer).

If you do end up going to Starbs (no shame, it's delicious), ask for soy or skim milk and ask them to put less of the flavor pumps and hold the whipped cream.

Portion-Control Candy 
If you do want to snatch up that giant bag of candy corn that's on sale, go for it! Just portion it out into individual zip lock baggies. Check the nutrition label to see all the serving size information and maybe just do 100 calorie baggies. I know this isn't necessarily healthy, but it will keep you from eating the whole bag in one sitting (and dragging yourself to the gym the next day out of guilt).

Skinny Pumpkin Bread
I just want everything pumpkin. (Can you blame me?) Thanks to Pinterest, I've discovered so many ways that I can indulge in pumpkin treats without busting out of my herribone vest.

Chocolate Sprinkle Bites
Shout out to whoever lived in our town home before us, because we got your Women's Health subscription. After flipping through and learning some new workouts, I found this recipe for a better alternative to all that halloween candy, and I can't wait to try it!

"Microwave four ounces of dark chocolate pieces (at least 70 percent cocoa) at 30-second intervals, stirring between heating. ....pour quarter-size circles onto a sheet of parchment paper. Dust with one tablespoon of round sprinkles....and allow to set, about 10 minutes in the refrigerator..." -WH

These are only 16 calories per piece, so I'm definitely DTB. (Down to bake.)




Let me know if you try any of these yummy treats by sending me a snap! I'm cristina_m24.

Have a great rest of the week!

X,

Cristina


1 comment:

  1. PORTION CONTROLLED CANDY!? I think if I ever tried to do that, I would epically fail....... but the chocolate sprinkle bites sound delicious!!

    Xo, Rach
    www.seashellsandsparkles.com

    ReplyDelete